It is hard to meet new people when you live inside yourself.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Four

The first time Remus met Josh was on the rooftop of watershed heights. Remus ventured out onto the roof to watch the first snow of the year fall on the city. He hadn't expected to see anyone else, but there was a young man lounging on a bench with a bottle of whiskey in one hand. Remus contemplated turning back, but decided that the stranger was likely to leave him alone.

Remus settled himself on a bench across the rooftop from the man, and began taking off his gloves to light a cigar. As Remus hunched over his cigar in a struggle to get it burning, the stranger stood up and made his way towards Remus.
"It must take quite a man to smoke a cigar that big alone," said the man. Remus said nothing. "Sure you don't want a little help?"
"I'm quite a man," said Remus.
"Oh come on, I've got whiskey to spare, and you've got more than enough cigar," said the man, and he sat down next to Remus. "This ain't exactly top of the line, but it'll keep you warm. My name is Joshua. I just moved in here,"
"You down on your luck? That's why most people move here."
"I've seen brighter days."
Joshua handed Remus the bottle, and took the cigar. Remus took a long swig.
"Haven't we all. But you know what? It could be worse. You see that guy down there?" He pointed to a man entering the building who was dressed in wizard robes.
"The one all dressed up like some kind of queer?" said Josh.
"Yeah. He thinks he's magic. When things get bad, I thank god for my sanity. If you lose your mind, then you have lost everything."
"But if you have lost everything, then you have nothing else to lose. I imagine it must be very freeing. That man down there doesn't look unhappy. I bet losing your mind is like meeting your best friend for the very first time. You don't realize what is to come, but it just feels natural."
"Believe me," said Remus, "your mind is a sanctuary. When you cannot find refuge in your own mind, you cannot find any peace."
"You seem to have thought about this quite a bit."
"I suppose I have. I could say the same to you."
"I guess I have, too. Say, I never got your name."
"My name is Remus. If you live here now, then I guess I'll see you around." Remus stood up and went back to his apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment